Sunday, October 26, 2008

Testing the gear indicator, removed the shocks

Testing the gear indicator. The display was very simple to install and all sensors came with it. I wanted to test how long the delay is after each gear change but running the engine at idle didn't give a stable enough signal because the sensor only reads one pulse each revolution. I didn't want to run it at higher revs because I was working alone, I'll have to test it some other time. (Had to come up with a good reason why to stop, it was getting quite cold because I had to keep the garage doors open, the garage had already a bit too much exhaust fumes for my liking and the car ran out of battery).

I got the display from ebay from seller bimbembam and I ordered 3 at the same time. This was the only display that I found for a reasonable price

The mounts of the shocks looked a bit bad. Rebound damping anyone? They had either too much load or then they went bad when we pressed in new steel pieces so we could use smaller bolts according to the rules. Either way, we'll have to come up with something that lasts better in the future.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Locost trailer interior

The first draft for the interior of the trailer. When at the racesite, the back of the trailer will form a bed, in the middle there will be two sofas and in the front there will be the kitchen and storage space. The white square is the space reserved for the door.

A closeup of the kitchen.

When transporting cars the sofas and table will be in the middle of the kitchen with tools and other stuff. The bed has space above the kitchen cabinets.

Friday, October 24, 2008

Locost trailer FEA, part 2

I got the second model ready, and the results are starting to look quite good. I used two different tube sizes for the main frame, and one of them was of course the same 25x25 tube used for the locost frame. The front beam is made of stronger tubing because I didn't have the nerve to make it from anything less. I'm a bit disappointed at the added complexity of the frame, and the final model weighed 230kg.

The picture above shows a situation when two locosts are resting on the trailer. The first model looked quite scary when the displacement was over 50mm at worst, now it's less than 1mm.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

New front cycle wings

A couple photos of our new front cycle wings.

Comparison, old and new wing side by side.

The black color doesn't do the new wing justice, but it looks promising. When we got them I was a bit terrified because their diameter is quite much larger than the wheel of the car, but luckily the gap between the wing and tire doesn't look that bad. We'll also probably make a pair of these on our old trailer.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Locost Trailer FEA, the beginning

I got the trailer frame into a FEA program. As always, I had to try to make it the cheapest/easiest way, and of course it wasn't strong enough...

This is a good start, and now I have something to improve on.

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Locost trailer

Were running two locosts next season, so we need something to transport two cars with and a place to sleep and relax during the race events.

Above you can see the first sketch for space inside the trailer. The interior is 7 meters (23 feet) long.

When stationary, the beds will be located above the forward positioned locost and in front of that there will be a living room. At the rear there will be a small workspace and some room for storage.