Friday, December 29, 2006
Tight left, watch out for the welder...
In addition to the brake rule, we don't either like the rule about Traction Control...
Haven't taken pictures of the frame in a long time, here's the current situation.
Mika explaining something to my dad. Probably about where the forces go in the suspension.
Also the rear suspension brackets are installed.
Monday, December 18, 2006
Sunday, December 17, 2006
We will have 60mm wider a-arms compared to PMC:s jigtable that we borrowed, so sadly it was of no use for us (they didn't really believe we had this much wider suspension). We still had to make it a bit of a compromise because we weren't sure which brake parts and wheels we would use. With the Taunus stock calipers we could have still gone ~35mm wider. Our racing rules state that the suspension has to be under 1660mm wide, so we would like to make use of all the space allowed.
A picture of our jigtable, it is for both front a-arms.
We got the upper front a-arms sorted out too, they just need to be welded together. So the front end is looking quite good at the moment, all it need is to be welded together.
We also tested brake options, seems like we can never get the brakes to fit into 13" wheels, so I guess we'll have to step up to 15...
No way. The brake disc is as big as the 13" wheel. Brake disc is from a GT3 Porsche and the caliper is from a Cayenne.
Picture from the composite department. +the lada rear axle.
And some results. One nosecone for each car, plus one as a spare when something happens.
The mold for the seat, borrowed from our school's formula student.
Sunday, December 10, 2006
Got finally started with 3D-modeling of the car, but there's still a long way to go to get something out of it. At least you can fit a "man" into the frame. The biggest benefit of this will be that we can get accurate measurements for jigs that we will use when making the car. We had some problems with the tubes having the wrong measurements in the McSorley cutting list, so atleast we'll have someone in our team to blame next time when we start to make the frame.
We also got the lower front a-arms done and the engine mounts are now in place. The car looks quite wild with a engine... Pic's will come as soon as I get the camera emptied.
Sunday, December 3, 2006
We got the molds for the composite parts and at the moment we have a nosecone and one set of fenders ready. At the moment we're making the carbon fenders and a spare nosecone. We're also making the seat.
The engines have been bought through German ebay, and they should be here next week.
We will start making the front suspension parts today, and the car should be on rolling before the end of the year.